Barracks in Heilbronn (1806-1992)

Barracks at the Deutschhof (former commandery of the German Knight Order)

1806 use as barracks from various Württemberg infantry regiments

1848/49 was shared by the 8th Infantry Regiment in the revolutionary unrest, thus afterwards being transferred to Ludwigsburg. From 1883 onward Heilbronn was no longer a garrison city.




Deutschhof
The Deutschhof in Heilbronn as barracks (around 1840)

Fusilier Barracks, Kernerstraße 65 (between Bismarck- and Karlstraße)

1880 Construction begins

1883 Occupied by parts of the 4th Infantry Regiment 122 of Württemberg

1921 Closing of Heilbronn garrison

1934 Stationing of soldiers from the German Wehrmacht and renaming to Moltke Barracks

1948 Renaming to Frankenhof

1956 Demolition

Fusilier Barracks
The Fusilier Barracks around 1911

Ludendorff Barracks, Admiral-Scheer-Straße (today: Badener Straße)

1935 New construction as barracks for the German Wehrmacht’s heavy artillery unit

1945-1950 Use as a camp for "Displaced Persons" through IRO (International Refugee Organisation)

1948 Renaming to Badener Hof-Barracks

From 1952 Use by American troops

1992 Departure of US troops

1994 Demolition and reconstruction as a residential area

Ludendorff Barracks 1939
The Ludendorff Barracks 1939

Schlieffen Barracks, Schlieffenstraße 8-14 (today: John-F.-Kennedy-Straße)

1935 New construction for and used by the German Wehrmacht

1945-1951 Use as a camp for "Displaced Persons" through IRO (International Refugee Organisation)

1948 Renaming to Hessenhof

1952 After occupation of American troops renamed to Wharton Barracks

1992 Departure of US troops; Demolition of buildings except for a few (3 blocks along the Stuttgarter Straße)

Since 1999 reconstruction as "Businesspark Schwabenhof"

Schlieffen Barracks
The Schlieffen Barracks around 1940

Priesterwald Barracks, Tiroler Straße 185 (today: Charlottenstraße)

1936 New construction for and used by the German Wehrmacht
1938 Renaming to Priesterwald Barracks

1945-1951 Use as a camp for "Displaced Persons" through IRO (International Refugee Organisation)

1948 Renaming to Schwabenhof

1952 After occupation of American troops renamed to Wharton Barracks

1992 Departure of the US troops; following, use of the buildings as homes for asylum seekers, thereafter demolition

Since 1999 reconstruction as "Businesspark Schwabenhof"

Priesterwald Barracks
The Priesterwald Barracks around 1940

In the 1950s the Wharton Barracks complex was externally expanded with the construction of the Herbert Hoover and Kennedy residential areas, as part of the American Garrison. They continued to be used as apartment housing.

In 1945/46 the Polish inmates from the DP camp erected a memorial to honor the memory of their compatriots, who did not survive the Second World War. The memorial was named The Polish Cross and stood on the grounds of the former Wharton Barracks. In 1998 it was classified as a cultural monument. In the course of restructuring the old barracks terrain, the cross was relocated to a small park along Charlottenstraße. With a new socket and an inscription in the ground, it reminds one of the earlier DP camp.

In 1952: View over the  Schwabenhof Barracks
In 1952: View over the Schwabenhof Barracks